Judging Moms: Are You Raising Your Children If You Work?

The other day, I was scrolling through my timeline on Facebook, and there was this post that caught my eye, which I didn't know how to feel about it. A "friend" had shared an article about moms not being able to work because childcare was so expensive, and after paying for it, hardly anything from their paycheck was left. This "friend" added a post saying something along the lines of, "Well, if it's so expensive, just stay home and watch your own children. I didn't have children so other people could raise them."  That kind of tore a hole in my heart even though I am a stay at home mom. No one else is raising them but myself, so I'm not sure why I was so offended.
But I was hurt, mainly because my plan has never been to stay home. Matter of fact, I've always kind of been counting down to when I could go back to work. When we moved up to Alaska, childcare was ridiculously expensive for a 4 year old, and there weren't any full day/all week pre-k or head start programs, and OMG the waitlists were like a year long. When my daughter finally got in with an in-home center, I was ecstatic to finally hit the search for jobs. I started volunteering in a hospital office and the hospital lab (because I didn't have the experience to get hired- which is what I wanted to do) and a substitute teacher to actually pay the childcare costs. My husband and I had already decided we were going to add another member to our family that year, and although I didn't want to be "stuck" at home with no options again, I didn't think that should be a reason why we don't follow through- and possibly regret not having a 3rd baby.

"You'll never regret the children you do have, but one day, you will regret not having those children"  -some random mom on one of my Facebook Mom groups

So I took time off here and there for morning sickness and only took easier jobs to not strain myself. I definitely didn't feel fulfilled working, although I loved my time in the lab. It kind of reaffirmed that it is what I want to do. (Getting certified is a WHOLE OTHER story and hurdle!)

Now that we have moved somewhere where childcare is plentiful, I WANT to go back to work. Like I love my children, but I don't want to live and breathe them 24/7. I truly feel like my purpose is elsewhere. Of course it is my job to instill good values and morals into my children, making sure that they become functional members of society, which I feel I am doing, but am I slacking on my responsibility of raising them because of having a calling for something else? Will this mean someone else is raising my child and I am just visiting a few hours a day? Let's be honest though, I am not a very good housewife. I clutter, I start cleaning in areas and move on halfway through. I don't take the kids out to socialize often because I am an introvert. I don't think of "engaging activities" for them. Am I even raising them the right way? Maybe someone else should be "raising" them? Would you consider daycare as someone else raising your child?

All these thoughts from ONE single post.

I actually read through the arguments that ensued in the comment section of that post. She continued with her post saying that she was only directing that comment to women who couldn't afford child care. Then she continued by saying people were only hurt because she was right. Then she got defensive saying other moms judge her because she has 6 kids and is pregnant with her 7th.
I deleted her. I couldn't handle the negativity that it brought onto my life, but this post pops into my head as I'm looking up daycare facilities and scrolling through job posts on Indeed.
 I hope I am making the right choice for my family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Fat to Fit Diaries: T25 and Keto UPDATE

Before/After T25 pictures (Results)

Kids Summer Schedule with Spanish Worksheets